Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I want to write a love letter to Hayao Miyazaki. I saw Howl's Moving Castle (his film adaptation of the book by Diana Wynne Jones) several days ago and fell head over heels in love. I didn't think it could get much better than Spirited Away (if you haven't seen it, I recommend remedying that unfortunate situation post-haste), but I was blown away. It was, of course, visually stunning. The most incredible animation--just gorgeous to look at, especially on the big screen. Lonely wild landscapes, charming towns, otherworldly realms. And the story was simple, satisfying. For lack of a more articulate way to put it, this movie will leave you with the warm fuzzies. A perfectly executed fairytale.

2 comments:

orm said...

I saw mononoke when it first came out, but I wasn't that crazy about it, maybe I should give it a second chance--I just remember being unimpressed by it.

Unknown said...

mononoke was good... not his best, but in the way that not every delectable piece of fine sushi can be "the best". Some are just really-super-freakin' good and better than most other food on the market.