So, after working all morning and giving myself cramps in my feet (standing on your feet for seven hours while you work will do that) I went with my sister on a giant grocery spree for tomorrow's traditional Christmas Eve Feast. I made a pilgrimage to the Trader Joe's that's about 45 minutes away, and then to the nice liquor store (on the East Coast, due to silly liquor laws, only beer can be sold in grocery stores and not very good beer), and then to the regular grocery store to pick up staples. We bought pate and very nice cheeses and olives and shrimp and I'm very excited. We might even attempt Midnight Mass this year, which would be exciting indeed. I'm feeling more and more in a convivial Christmas spirit by the minute, despite all the working I've been doing. I'm on an all Christmas music, all the time regimen, I watched Scrooge with my family last night (an adaptation of A Christmas Carol with Albert Finney & Alec Guinness, my family always watches it right before Christmas), and tonight I'm baking Christmas cookies. There's nothing like being home for the holidays.
(P.S.--it's very pleasant to have people come into the donut shop and say Merry Christmas smilingly, instead of Happy Holidays, or, worse yet, nothing at all. Hearing that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, I can transcend, even if just for a moment, the monotony of working and remember the joyous occasion that's approaching.
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment