Sunday, July 09, 2006

at the ocean

You know that Nick Drake song, Pink Moon? The moon rose over the water tonight and it really was pink against the blue-grey fog that was rolling in.

Is there anything better than the smell of salt air, the breeze that blows off the water?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I am making an Italian meal for my fmaily tommorow and I had a question about the dessert(I hear you know a thing or two about baking). Here is the recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/230665
Should I make the profiteroles the day before so they have a chance to cool and the such or should I try and time them to come out of the oven when we are ready for dessert? I appreciate the help.

Nick Bucher

orm said...

so, in the recipe they say: Cut 36 cream puffs in half horizontally. Place scoop of gelato in each cream puff. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and freeze.)

I would not freeze them the day before. I would make them earlier in the day, let them cool, put them in an airtight container (someplace cool), so that they don't get stale. Then, I would make the gelato and the sauce and assemble them as you need them/immediately before you need them. It might even be easier if you make the gelato and the sauce the night before (instead of the profiteroles), if you want to save time.

The bottom line is that it will be a little less relaxing for you, but the profiteroles will probably taste a lot better than if you made them the day before...hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help. The cream puffs turned out better than I expected and I used panchetta gelato instead of hazelnut (i am not a huge fan of nuts). If you ever make this, the sauce needs about twice as much kahlua as the recipie calls for. (and for the record, I did not make the gelato myself, we have a gelato place about five minutes from the house).

Nick Bucher