Tuesday, September 21, 2004

so weird to be back here

Sometimes I think everything about the Left Coast sucks and I get very frustrated and experience a tight feeling in my chest. And then I go have lunch outside on a sunny afternoon at The Summit with a friend and eat one of the best burgers I've ever had, after a tire-squealing drive on a twisty road that winds through orchards and ranch lands encircled by breathtaking mountains. Or I watch a Shakespeare play outside on a mild evening when the palm trees are framed against a violet sky, and on the way back we drive down the PCH and the moon is on the water and we stop in Carpinteria and they go swimming fully clothed as waves taste the shore and Scorpio burns aboves the horizon. Or, at 12 am I watch a brilliant fireball fall against a backdrop of thousands of stars as I sit on the hood of a car up in the mountains, on a warm night when the wind smells like sage and someone plays the guitar softly. Maybe I have the best of both worlds. (Well, sometimes, anyway.)

No comments: