Robin in the rain/such a saucy fellow/robin in the rain/mind your socks of yellow...
So, I'm back east. It's a lot cooler out here on the right coast, that's for sure. For example, the high here today was 55 degrees and it's only expected to get that high for the rest of the week--we've got a very rainy upcoming week predicted. Spring showers, I suppose. It's very obviously still spring here, the leaves on the trees aren't all the way open yet and the ones that are opened up are that yellow-green color known as "spring green" in the Crayola crayon box. There are tulips and lilies-of-the-valley everywhere and the air smells incredibly sweet.
School feels very far away and forever-ago right now. I got home and felt kind of shell-shocked (which I'm sure has something to do with the jet-lag). This past semester really whipped by and so much went on, I don't think I had time to catch my breath and process it (I still don't think I've fully processed it). By the end of the semester I really didn't know what end was up, I was so burned out. Fortunately, my grades turned out to be good (yes, I checked already!), so I guess I wasn't quite as burned out as I thought. Which is a huge relief. Anyway, bottom line, it's good to be home (even though it feels a little less like my home every time I come back).
I've been teaching myself guitar with my Dad's much-neglected Yamaha (he has a capo and all sorts of chord books, plus there are tons of tabs on the internet, so I'm all set) and my fingers are killing me, but I can already play one song (sort of...), so it's worth it. I've also been working (lifeguarding--it's nice to have a job to come back to, even though I don't have very many hours yet), job-hunting for a second job (combing the classifieds is more fun than I've had in years, let me tell you), reading Don Quixote (Before any more people yell at me for doing homework already: have you seen this book? Is it long, or is it just me?) and other assorted books I picked up from the library (possibly one of my favorite places ever), cooking (I made lemon-parmesan risotto for the first time the other night and it's like crack, it's worth all the attention it demands... So good!), driving the kids to various places, making it to church almost every day, and burning a bunch of cds (oh, the joy of having access to an internal cd burner and downloading capabilities once more!). Well, that's a somewhat comprehensive summary of what I've been up to. I still haven't finished unpacking, or done any laundry, but clearly I've been way too busy with Very Important Things to bother.
I might post more later, but tonight is Family Movie Night and it's time for me to watch... (wait for it) National Treasure! Too exciting.
edit: Yeah, another good thing about being home is definitely the fact that I don't have to be on a plane again for another three months. There is very little I like about flying, something which was confirmed yet again this past Tuesday. The recycled air is nasty and makes my nose, mouth, and eyeballs feel like the Sahara, I can't stay awake (which doesn't help the desiccated contacts situation), and every part of my body somehow manages to have a cramp in it by the time I stagger off the the second plane. And I can barely carry all of my luggage by myself.
3 years ago

8 comments:
were you being snarky about the classifieds. I have a job, but i'm still addicted to looking through the jobs section and the motorcyles section in the classifieds. Hi, my names Tyrone, i smoke crack.
definitely being snarky about the classifieds... it's probably a whole different story to browse them for fun, as opposed to: oh look, somebody else wants a dishwasher, too! (the perfect summer job, no doubt)
Don Quixote was my favorite reading at TAC, besides Bacon. It's totally awesome! If you don't enjoy it I'll be forced to disavow any knowledge of your existence.
Oh, yeah, and National Treasure was a pretty good movie, in my opinion. But I won't disavow your existence if you don't like it. It's more of a conspiracy theorist's movie.
Who killed Cock Robin,
"I" said the Sparrow,
With my little bow and arrow,
I killed Cock Robin.
Actually, National Treasure was pretty enjoyable. And I like Don Quixote. So, you won't have to disavow knowledge of my existence on either count!
Crack is worth all the attention it demands? I guess that makes sense, but I've never heard it spoken of like that.
Jack, stop being an ass and email me already.
I, from this moment forward, disavow all knowledge of the existence of anonymous.
Post a Comment